Wednesday, October 15, 2014

I grew up around a lot of people with accents, my dad who used to have a strong Italian accent and my babysitter when I was little used to have a Spanish accent. So when they would say my nam it would always be in European accents and thats what it reminds me of. My family also changed my name (not legally) from Evelyn to the European translation Evelina. Not many people have the same name as me, I’ve only ever met about 4 or 5 other people with my name. 
My name reminds me of the house I lived in for eight years in Los Angeles, California. It was always sunny and the house was so amazing. When I think about my name I think about how my dad and my babysitter and family friends used to say it. The fact that not many people have the same name as me makes me feel original. Some people might feel out of place because they have a different name but mine makes me stand out.
My name reminds me of a color thats like a mix between a red and an orange, like a scarlet or a coral. A color you don’t see every day, but every now and then you occasionally see it. I’ve never been to a store that has a keychain or flashlight with my name on it, Evelyn? All the time. I f I go to Starbucks with a friend I tell them that my name is “Ev” because they can’t spell Evelina. Once I tried and they spelt it “Balinda”. Sometimes when I meet new people or have new teachers they tend to call me Emalina or Evilena. My name is like the number seven which makes sense because my name has seven letters in it. Seven is a prime number which means other numbers can’t go into it. This makes me feel like I’m unique because the number seven is a number that isn’t similar to other numbers. 
My mom almost named me Violet after the Florentine soccer team. Which in Italian, translates to Violeta. My parents almost named that because my dads Florentine. I have both of my parents last names, Mazar and Corcos, but I only use Corcos which is my dads last name.
But in the end, I love my name and I would never change it. No, I don’t like the name Evelyn and have never gone by it but Evelina I have and I haven’t ever wanted to go by anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment